How to Prepare Organic Chemistry for IIT-JEE
Being an IITan has always been one of the most attractive carriers for the students of science especially of the Maths stream. The salary package of an IITan in different organizations and their status in our society are really attractive, but it is not very easy to crack IIT-JEE and acquire all these in a moment. However, it becomes rather easier if you prepare with proper planning and your effort is consistent in the proper direction. How to prepare organic chemistry for IIT-JEE? It is one of the most frequently asked questions of the aspirants of IIT-JEE. There is not a well-set strategy to crack IIT-JEE, but it is well established that RRP (Reading, Revision, and Practice) strategy can maximize your marks and make it possible easily.
Organic chemistry plays a very vital role in the preparation of chemistry for IIT-JEE, NEET and other chemistry competitions. The analysis of papers of previous years reveals that there are several hot spots of organic chemistry therefrom questions are frequently asked in IIT-JEE.
Hot Spots of Organic Chemistry
- IUPAC nomenclature of organic compounds (Including bond line notations)
- General Organic Chemistry (GOC) especially, tautomerism, geometrical and optical isomerism, Electronic displacement (Inductive, Electromeric, Mesomeric effects, and Hyper-conjugation), Order of stability and reactivity of Reaction intermediates (Free radicals, Carbocations, Carbanions, Carbenes, and Benzyne), Geometry of reaction intermediates.
- Reaction Mechanism (SN1 and SN2 Reactions of halo-alkanes, E1 and E2 reactions of halo-alkanes), Free radical substitution (Halogenation of alkanes, Allylic substitution, Peroxide effect), Electrophilic substitution (Benzene and Derivatives), Nucleophilic substitution in halo-alkanes, Electrophilic addition (Alkenes and alkynes), Nucleophilic addition (Carbonyl compounds)
- Alkyl and Hydride shift
- Directing Effect in Mono-substituted benzenes (Ortho-Para and Meta directing effects)
- Characteristic test of different functional groups
- Unsaturation test (Baeyer’s test and Bromine Water Test
- Named Reactions with their specialty
- The distinction between terminal and non-terminal alkynes (Alkynide salt formation)
In fact, the final selection in IIT-JEE stands on the following four pillars-
(1) Teacher selection
It is the first and the most important criteria to crack NEET. A teacher of academic or below standard can never let you prepare well for NEET. So, you should select the best mentor that can prepare you well for NEET.
(2) Matter selection
For competitive preparation what is not to study is more important than what to study. You should emphasize more on important and relevant topics (hot spots) and practice more on quality study materials rather than being trapped in rubbish materials floating in the market.
Always remember, if your mentor selection is well then he would provide you the best and relevant study materials and therefore, material selection would become automatically well.
In my opinion, you should concentrate on NCERT books that are Encyclopedia of IIT-JEE and you should improve your application part by revision and solving practice papers and previous year’s papers within the prescribed time frame again and again.
(3)Time for starting preparation
When to start preparing for IIT-JEE? It is one of the most frequently asked questions by the IIT-JEE aspirants. In my opinion, you should start your preparation from class 11 and should maintain your tempo till the examinations. If you start too early then it would not be easy for you to maintain your pace for a longer time period and it would develop a frustration in you that is very dangerous for you and your preparation.
(4) Hard work
It is the fourth important pillar of your preparation to crack IIT-JEE in the First Attempt. You have selected the best mentors who are providing you the best study materials but you are not serious in your preparation but just wasting your time, then not even God can make you selected in IIT-JEE. In fact, there is no shortcut to success, except hard work. So, you should maintain consistency in your preparation. The regular study, regular revision, and solving practice problems and previous year’s papers in a specified time frame are the keys to your selection.
Important Tips for Preparation of IIT-JEE
(1) Select a good mentor of Chemistry. Several educational channels and the best mentors of Chemistry are available online at a very affordable cost. You just subscribe one of them and start your online preparation rather than wandering here and there.
(2) Centralize your study to the NCERT books and one or two reference books of organic Chemistry. Don’t follow too many books otherwise, you would not be able to complete your syllabus. Always remember, different books differ being only nineteen or twenty in text quality, but never differ of being nineteen and twenty-five.
(3) Follow quality notes of a good mentor. Don’t run behind the brand, but run behind the concise and effective notes of your mentor.
(4) Prepare your own capsule notes for revision.
(5) Maintain consistency and regularity in your preparation.
(6) Revise the prepared topics regularly. Always remember, revision is not a waste of time but it makes you perfect. Always keep in mind that, “Revision is division” i.e. Revision improves your marks and ultimately your rank in the final selection.
(7) Solve practice problems and previous year’s papers in the specified time frame. It would help you to finish your paper timely in the final examination.
(8) Always be confident in your preparation, but never be overconfident. Always read the question carefully and then answer. You usually make mistakes in overconfidence and it has to be reduced.
Important Reference Books for Organic Chemistry
(1) Dr. O.P. Tandon (GRB Publication)
(2) Modern’s abc of Objective Chemistry
(3) Reaction mechanism by Dr. Jagdamba Singh
Download “Exacademy” mobile app from the following Link-
Learn By The Best : No one can match us.
For any other query Call/WhatsApp us At- +91-7389757666.
For Video Lectures Subscribe “Exacademy” YouTube Channel from the link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLPxVWdS2VBCN8YZ7Xaqnlg
Click on the following Video link to watch Demo Video Lecture-
Subscribe Online Classes of Chemistry for NEET 2022 (Hindi/English Mediums) from the following link-
Subscribe NEET 2022 Chemistry Test Series from the following link-
Subscribe Online Classes of Chemistry for IIT-JEE 2022 (Hindi/English Mediums) from the following link-
Subscribe IIT-JEE 2022 Chemistry Test Series from the following link-
Subscribe Online Classes of Chemistry for Class 11 (Hindi/English Mediums) from following link-
Subscribe Class 11 Chemistry Test Series from the following link-
Subscribe Online Classes of Chemistry for Class 12 (Hindi/English Mediums) from the following link-
Subscribe Class 11 Chemistry Test Series from the following link-
Subscribe Online classes of NEET 2022 from the following Link-
Subscribe Online classes of IIT-JEE 2022 from the following Link-
Subscribe Class 11 Chemistry pdf Notes | Video Lectures | MCQs with Video Solution from the following link-
Subscribe Class 12 Chemistry pdf Notes | Video Lectures | MCQs with Video Solution from the following link-
Download pdf notes of Chemistry for Class 9 from the following link-
Download pdf notes of Chemistry for Class 10 from the following link-
Download pdf notes of Chemistry for Class 11 from the following link-
Download pdf notes of Chemistry for Class 12 from the following link-
Download pdf notes of Chemistry for Class 12 (Hindi Medium) from the following link-
Download pdf notes of Chemistry for IIT-JEE/NEET from the following link-
About Shailendra Shukla Sir
By profession, Shailendra Shukla Sir is an executive officer in a very reputed power generation company. He has been a professional educator of competitive chemistry for a long time and his sole aim is to provide quality guidance to the aspirants of UPSC, State PSCs, IIT-JEE, AIIMS, NEET, and Academic examinations, especially to those who belong to the economically vulnerable class of society and cannot afford heavy tuition fees of professional institutions.
For Video lectures and Live Classes of Shailendra Shukla sir visit “Exacademy” and “Pradeep Kshetrapal” YouTube Channelshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLPxVWdS2VBCN8YZ7Xaqnlg
For pdf notes, video lectures, online classes, and online tests Download the “Exacademy” Mobile App. Click Here for download-
You may also follow Shailendra Shukla Sir on the “Exacademy” and “Chemistry for Competitions” telegram channels and the “Exacademy” Facebook group.
The link for the “Exacademy” Facebook group is here-